Saturday, July 5, 2008

First Day

I just found a pay phone and then it took forever to figure out where on my Palm I had put the phone number - on my computer's Palm, not the actual device. At least I called my parents to let them know I was alive this time rather than in Costa Rica when it took five hours for me to get to a phone. The bad news is that the phone is a pay phone in the Paradeplatz, which is a main town square, and very busy. It is unlikely that I will make long phone calls from it. Email is probably the best policy for getting in touch with me. The internet connection here has been sketchy at best and only a few people have it up and running. I just got mine to work. Luckily there is a computer engineering major on the same floor as me and he has been on call with our computers for the last twenty-four hours. He also informed me that my computer has a harder time with the internet because I don't have enough RAM.
The town here is very interesting because most of it was rebuilt after World War II. Due to the industrial business in the area, it was bombed heavily. For instance, the castle, where our school is, was rebuilt after the war. There is a museum in the castle that has the castle's history and has pictures of what the building looked like after the war. I'm hoping to check it out sometime during the week. There are some beautiful buildings that we saw on our tour today. The Jesuit church was not bombed at all, and is modeled after late Baroque/Roccoco (sp?) architecture. It is very bright due to all the windows, which is supposedly something of a rarity in old European churches. The weather is hot with a nice breeze, and we are walking around a lot.
The dorm building is very nasty looking and not a lot better inside. Luckily there is a lot of storage space, which divides my area of the room from Jenna's. It's probably the only reason we are not complaining as much.

1 comment:

C.S. Overstreet said...

Ich habe alles gelesen - auch den "Brief" an den Hausmeister! Das sind ja schreckliche Zustände! Haben Sie mit Dr. Hasty oder mit dem Auslandsamt gesprochen??? Kann man etwas tun?